Perhaps this is the most common question that has been asked by a patient to Dentists. Which Toothpaste is good for them? And to be very honest most of the Dentists just say any Random name which strikes their mind, or based on their experiences.
Know your Toothpaste | Buy Good Toothpaste
Then we are dependent upon the advertisement to tell us the same, and commercials / advertisement does nothing but promote their brand and product in such a manner that we get emotionally attach to a brand and finally purchase / consume it.
But why can’t we become smart consumer and ask the question to ourselves, what is good for us? Which toothpaste is actually good? In this Blog / Article we would tell you the answer.
Let us first understand, what Toothpaste are? and then would know more about it and stay healthy and wealthy.
Toothpaste is available in paste, powder and gel. They help us clean out teeth and gums. Help us fight against cavity and overall clean our mouth, also save us from bad breath.
What is inside Toothpaste?
- Calcium Carbonate and Silicates, which help to remove bacteria, food left over and stains from the teeth.
- It also includes Saccharin (Artificial Sweetners) and Flavors like Mint, Cinnamon, Lemon-lime, Bubble Gum etc. to make toothpaste taste better for us.
- Glycerol which prevents the paste / gel from drying out.
- Gums and Gooey molecules, which helps to add thickness in the paste / gel.
- Detergents like Sodium Lauryl.
Types of Toothpaste
Fluoride is basically a mineral, which is naturally occurring. When we eat any food the bacteria in it enters our mouth. Those Bacteria inside our mouth feed on sugars and starches from food left over inside mouth. Fluoride helps our teeth from the acid that those bacteria secrete, by making your tooth enamel strong. This is the most important ingredient of any Toothpaste.
Tartar Control Toothpaste
Food left over inside mouth and Bacteria forms a plaque. Plaque is a layer over your Teeth, which if not being cleaned regularly could hard your Gums, and entire mouth. It is primary reason for Tooth decay.
Plaque if not cleaned turns harder and forms Tartar. This is difficult to clean now and can easily lead to Gum Disease.
Chemical compounds like Pyrophosphates and Zinc Citrate are added to Toothpaste additionally to fight against Tartar. An antibiotic called Triclosan is also added at times to kill the bacteria inside mouth.
Toothpastes for Sensitive Teeth
Some people do have sensitive teeth. Where the teeth are irritated when came in contact with Hot/ Cold food.
Abrasive particles and Chemicals are being used, which polish the teeth. Excessive usage of this kind of Toothpaste could actually damage your teeth’s.
Silica is the whitening ingredient in most whitening toothpastes.
Now, that you have understood what Toothpaste are and also you get a fair idea of what all ingredients are being used in a Toothpaste. Now before doing a final purchase please keep following things in mind:
- See the Toothpaste does it has an ADA (American Dental Association) approval. Find for the seal on the Toothpaste. [You can search for ADA sealed product here)
- There were incidents that are reported where Toothpaste imported from China were found to contain a Toxic Substance name Di-ethylene Glycol. After confirmation FDA advises not to use Toothpaste which is manufactured in China.
- Read the ingredients.
- Don’t Brush excessively | Don’t take excessive Toothpaste to brush
Yes, there is Toothpaste available in the Market which are Herbal or Ayurveda or even Natural. Some also claims that Salt, Lemon, Baking Soda etc. could be used for brushing Teeth’s. Everyone is right, well almost. But ultimately it is your responsibility to take care of Your entire family Health including you.
********Because You Can Know Everything*********